The Official Website of Utah County Government

Utah Salt Flats
Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Employees


Current Employees



Can I submit my application by email, fax or through the mail?

Yes, for most positions. Completed applications can be submitted in person, by email: ucpersonnel@utahcounty.gov, fax: 801-851-8166, or by mail. Please note you are responsible to ensure that all documents are readable, and arrive by the closing date and time in the Human Resources Office. You are welcome to call the Human Resources Office at 801-851-8158 to make sure your application has been received and is readable. We have a few positions that require an original application (therefore faxes won't work). Look on the job announcement for additional guidelines in these cases.  

The Job Announcement says I need to include a typing test with my application. Where can I take a typing test?

We accept typing tests from any service or software that provides a dated result. Searching on the internet for 'free typing test' will provide you with several options. Once your test is scored, print the screen showing your score and include that with your application. If you have further questions, please contact the Human Resources office at 801-851-8158. 

If the position I am interested in requires a 40 wpm net typing test, isn't 39 wpm net close enough?

Unfortunately, no. If the position has a minimum requirement of 40 wpm net, your typing test needs to be at least 40 wpm net.  

Can I include a copy of my resume with my application?

Resumes are not typically accepted at the time of application unless specifically noted on a job announcement. If you are selected for an interview, you are welcome to bring your resume at the time of your interview.  

Can I use internet printouts of my transcripts or copy my diploma to include with my application?

For all Associate degrees and above, we will accept a copy of the diploma (unless otherwise stated in the job announcement) and / or a copy of certified transcripts as documentation. The original transcripts will also be fine, but a photocopy is acceptable. We will also accept internet printouts of transcripts.  

I am interested in several positions that are open. Do I have to submit a separate application for each position?

Yes. A separate application will need to be submitted for each position you are interested in. You will also need to have a set of attachments (transcripts, typing tests etc.) for each application. You are welcome to submit photocopies of your completed application if you would like to apply for several positions or keep a copy of your completed application in case you become interested in a future position. 

I applied for a job 6 months ago. Can I have a copy of my application or use that application to apply for a job that is currently available?

No. Once a position closes, the applications are archived and eventually destroyed. Please do not submit original documents of anything you would like to keep or use again for other applications. You are welcome to keep a "master" copy of your application in case you are interested in any jobs that may become available.  

I turned in an application for a position. What happens now?

Your application will be put in a file along with the other applications for that particular position. Once the position closes, Human Resources will screen the applications that have been received for that particular job. Additional screening and/or testing may be done at this time to determine the most qualified candidates to be interviewed by the hiring department. Applicants are welcome to contact the Human Resources Office at any time during this process to find out the status of the position. 

Are there any internship opportunities with Utah County Government?

Internships and temporary positions with the County are categorized as time limited or 1000 hr positions. This means the person would work 1000 hours or less in a 12 month period. All time limited positions are hired through the individual departments. If you are interested in a time limited position, please contact the department you would like to work for directly. Unless otherwise noted, all positions posted on the website are permanent merit positions and questions should be directed to the Human Resources Office. 

My neighbor works for the county and said there was a position open in his department but I don't see it on the website. What's going on?

Be patient. Human Resources does not open a position until it is fully vacated and we have reviewed the job qualifications with the department. Keep checking the website. Once the position opens, you are welcome to submit your application at that time.  

I am interested in a position that is not currently open. Can I submit my application and have you keep it on file until the position opens?

Human Resources only accepts applications for open positions. You are welcome to complete an application and keep it in your own records until the position opens.  

How can I find out the minimum requirements for a particular job if it isn't currently open?

Job descriptions and the minimum requirements for each job are listed on the Human Resources Department website. Click on the "Job Description" link and then on the particular job you are interested in.  



Where can I find FAQ information for current employees?
  Current employee's can find FAQ information on the INTRANET.